How the Insurance Company Will Handle Your Claim
If you were injured in an accident, you will need to retain a qualified personal injury attorney in Westchester who will remain in constant contact with the insurance company and give them an accurate record of your medical expenses.
What the Insurance Company Will Do
The insurance company will take the following actions once they receive your claim:
- Create a file on you and your case.
- Have a claims manager or a supervisor assign an insurance claims adjuster to manage your file. Your personal injury attorney in Westchester may have to deal with multiple adjusters responsible for your case.
The Adjuster’s Role
The insurance claims adjuster assigned to handle your file will be constantly communicating with your Personal injury attorney in Westchester. In addition, the adjuster will review your claim to answer the following questions:
- Who was at fault for your injury?
- Were you at fault for your own injuries in any way (This is called comparative negligence or contributory negligence)?
- Were there any witnesses to the accident?
- Where did the accident occur?
- What is mentioned in the investigative reports filed in the case (such reports include police reports and Department of Motor Vehicle reports)?
At the conclusion of the initial investigation, the claims adjuster will:
- Ask your personal injury attorney in Westchester for medical reports and any additional reports that concern your injuries.
- Examine documents that detail how much hours you lost from work.
- Emphasize to your personal injury lawyer in Westchester that he or she must receive accurate records of expenses incurred due to your injury (e.g., your medical bills, prescription bills, hospital bills, therapy bills).
Keeping an accurate record of your medical bills, lost wages, and any expenses necessary to treat your injury is one the most important things you can do for your case. An experienced personal injury lawyer in Westchester will assist you in this effort and ensure that the insurance adjuster receive the accurate documentation they require.
Mitchell Baker is an experienced personal injury attorney in Westchester who will thoroughly investigate all facts of your case to present a winning case. For a free initial consultation, please call his law offices at 1-914-681-9500 today.